Sunday

To Vote or Not to Vote…..

Doesn’t seem long before i posted in my blog.
Yep, it was about 2 to 3 months back about religion and now with another
controversial theme in our country today, POLITICS.

To be honest.. as I have always been, I’m
very new to this focus on politics. In fact, I really hated that topic due to
the fact that I had no knowledge at all on it. However, after certain studying
and reading of newspapers, magazines and not to forget other blogs and also the
local and international news on TV, I was enthralled by politics. My parents
would always discuss this theme with my elder brother back at home in Ipoh and I would always be the listener. So I do know certain things that does happen in our country although it is not essential that what was spoken between the walls in my home are 100% accurate. I would say those are just thoughts of individuals.

A quick history, both my mother and father are government servants and have
retired now for quite sometime. My brother is in the private sector and is
doing rather well I would say. I on the other hand, am experiencing evolution
of my brain. I am a student. My younger sister is just too young to know all
this. My parents and my brother have been voting for quite sometime now and
please don’t ask me who they voted for because they don’t even reveal that to
direct family members. I actually asked them about it and they said it was
confidential. Fair enough. But hey, somehow we could conclude who is voting for
who rite. I mean my parents are retired civil servants and my brother is in
private sector… ring any bell? As for me, I’m 24 and eligible to vote in the
coming election if I register myself as a voter as soon as possible. The
question now arises here…. To vote or not to vote? Am I wise enough to vote?
Let me rephrase that, are we being exposed to news and information accurately?
Because only by recognizing the truth that is going on in our country can we
vote appropriately. Sure this question arises very often to those in my pool of
age.

I’m not here to moralize or to persuade you to vote for the ruling party or
opposition party. I’m just here point out certain things. I’m not a future
leader to tell you what to do, but since this is my blog, I have all the rights
in the world to point out my views. So for those who have contradicting vision,
do drop by comments.

Peace and harmony.. that was what our country was. Or shall I say, that was
what we intend to believe. That was what that has been taught by our teachers.
“Negara kita sungguh aman dan damai walaupun dengan berbagai jenis kaum kita
dapat hidup bersama.” BULL SHIT!! We all do discriminate other races. Whether
we do it between ourselves or our circle of close friends, or we do it
publicly, we do this. Don’t be a hypocrite by saying other wise. Haha… we are
all full of it, aren’t we. When a bunch of non-Malays see a Malay driving a
Mercedes, we quote by saying, “The government help this *&%*er to get
everything just by sitting and swaying his legs.” When a Chinese drives a
Mercedes, it is sure some underground business. When an Indian drives a
Mercedes, he is not the owner of it but just a driver for some big shot. All
this happens only that we don’t say it aloud to hinder racial situations. Well
back to the harmonious BOLEH land, as far as I know, the country was kindda
peaceful till certain things took part in recent days. Have a fair election by
BERSIH, judicial reform by the lawyers, Indian rights by Indians and so forth.
Its not wrong, but its not right either. It is not wrong lawfully, but it not
right morally. Thats what I would say. I would hate to see blood dripping in
the streets here. My advise is, if you feel that you are not treated fairly,
show your power in the coming election, but then again, who do you vote for?
How sure are you that the person you vote for next, would not do the same as
the previous one as we claim? Would you take the risk? If you did and it turned
out real bad, you need to wait for another 5 years? Anything could happen in 5
years, but if it turned out for the good of the people, BRAVO!
A recent survey published in one of our local newspaper showed that out of the
certain percentage that did not vote for the previous election, 6% actually
answered "I dunno who to vote for". I laughed my heads out when I
read that, but after a while, I realized that I was also one of the 6%.

Now comes the real fucked up part. I’m an Indian and i’m proud to be one. About
the rally recently… I did not go. And I’ve no comments about it. I’m still a
student and I don’t want to screw my life. Well my circumstances are different.
As I told you, I’m 24 and still a student. Do your conclusion or calculation or
whatsoever. So, the thing now is, if there is a candidate who is an Indian
standing for the current ruling party and another Indian from the opposition and
you yourself are an Indian. What happens?

As for now, I have not registered as a voter and even if I do, I would not know
whether I will vote in the coming election. What happens to the future of our
country lies in our hands especially the youths. The question of Indian
being marginalized.. yes and no. Some are doing really well, some are
under poverty. It is extremely difficult to satisfy all, but an effort should
be shown. A recent survey showed in our local newspaper (controlled media) says
that the poverty level of Indians is actually lower compared to the Malays. How
does this happen? Simple, some Indian are earning really well, and some are
doing real bad. Plus the both and divide by 2, u get lower percentage because
Indian population itself is low. When you do that to the Malays, who have
higher percentage in population.. the figure speaks for itself. Yet, the really
low earning Indians are a pity to see. Their living area, food they eat and all
will craft tears. The fucked up thing about Indians are that we don’t help our
own. Ah come one!! Don’t give me that look. You know it, I know it.“ Oru
tamilanne innoore tamilan thaandaa seyivaan” That’s a term we Indian have all
heard about. A translation would sound something like this. “Only an Indian will
cheer for a fall of another Indian.

Anyway, a multi racial country should stay a multi
racial country. The best place you could see and feel this scenario of multi
racial people getting together to eat in one place is Merdeka Garden hawker stalls back in my hometown Ipoh. Those who have been there, you know what I mean. The food
is great, the people are great and the scenario there speaks for itself. I will not want to loose that. There are Wan Ton Mee by the Cinese, Nasi Lemak and Burger catered by the Malay and Thosai, Idli, Puri etc by the Indians. And all races come to this place and all food prepared by all races. An amazing scenario. The First Garden Hawker stalls is another example.

What do we want exactly? Try for a better country? or stick with the current one? Maybe my opinions are not logical for some as you may argue that I’m still a student and have not been into the real world. However right you are, I’m sure you do have the thoughts that something might go wrong in the coming election. Are we ready to take this revolution? If you are ready, be a 100% true to your standings. If not.. I don’t know .. take my stand of not to vote?

I guess the phrase "Don’t ask what the country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" by President JFK really matters now. Do something for the country, don’t just sit and expect the government to pour us with benefits and advantages. I mean of course it is the government’s duty to hear the peoples’ voice and do respond to it, but come to think of it, if we were given high quota in local universities, do you really think we would have earned the name where Indians are the best lawyers
and Doctors, Indians are the better programmers and all?? I don’t think so. We
strived for place in the university. The competition among us were tensed and
that is why some of us made it. Well I dunno… Not pointing fingers to anyone
though, just positioning facts in the right order at ourselves.

Again.. to vote or not to vote… question
yourselves.





-5th Dember 2007- Kuhan

No comments: