Saturday

Where’s the “whoo whaa” for Malaysian Independence Day?

31st August, 1957. I was not born that year so I would not know what actually took place. I only know what took place by the stories narrated to me by my dad and by the history books in school. History books my friends, are written and published by the people who were in power of the government. Whatever the government before wants the Rakyat to believe, they will make sure it reaches the Rakyat and that’s how our school history books influence our understanding of Malaysian History today. Of course these history books could be replaced by another version which could very well be contradicting to the initial history books. However you need to substitute that very government of yesteryears that wrote and published the book in the first place. Now you know where I’m getting. Well, for 52 years (2 more days for 53 years from this date), Malaysia previously known as Malaya has been ruled by the Barisan Nasional political party previously known as Parti Perikatan. For 52 years we have been reading the bullshit they have fed us with in schools. For 52 years we have been told to compromise with not other races but compromise with the government policies if you look at it the right the way. For 52 years we were petrified to even speak about the government policies what not their attitudes. For 52 years my dear readers, we were so proud of Malaysia that we celebrated with cheers and joy the Independence of Malaysia on 31st August. 2 more days for 31st August 2010, where is the joy now?

The fact is, the only joy we get on the 31st August is a Public Holiday. For those who work on this day, the joy is getting double or in some organization triples pay and that’s about it. The joy for the younglings/teenagers are probably to get involved in the Independence Parade held in each state or just to site see the parade. When I was younger in my early teens, my friends and I would site see the parade back in Ipoh not because we are patriotic but because we want to check out the girls in their respective school uniforms or club uniforms. Hey, don’t give me that look. You and I both know we all did the same thing. It’s the hormone kicking. Anyway, that my friends are just about the most we feel about Malaysian Independence Day.

Well, I’ve got my own theory on how Malaysia or Malaya of yesteryears gained its Independence Day. This of course is not solely my view, but also some other small percentage of people who took the effort to learn more about the history of Malaya just by a click of a mouse. I will make is as simple as one sentence. The British who were in control of our country back then, got so tired of us being so lazy of not wanting to take responsibilities of governing the country that they decided to leave Malaya. That’s right. The Brits left Malaya because they could not stand our attitude. The popular Malaysian attitude of ‘apa apa lah’. However, since the Brits are more responsible people then we are, they left us with a constitution so that we don’t end up in a mess. Well, a country needs to have standard to be in the Commonwealth Organization. That’s how I see Malaya gained its Independence. True or false, I would not know but that’s how I see it.

Coming back, since most of us were not present pre-Malaya Independence and the day the declaration took place, we only experience the post-independence day which is Malaysian Independence Day. From what we see or better still from what I see, its compromise, compromise, compromise all the way. I really don’t mind compromising but to the extent of having quotas for GLCs and public universities is a little too much. Actually coming to think of it, I even don’t mind compromising on GLCs rate of hiring, but public universities, is a no! no!. When the current government is replaced in the next GE, which I believe it will, I really hope that they scrap the quota in public universities. First the petrol price of course, and then the public university quota. Hey, I’m not going to enroll in any university no more, so let it come second. I am being selfish just like you. Thus; we have not been fed by patriotism for us to feel proud to be Malaysian. Don’t blame the Rakyat for feeling this, blame the government. What on earth is a patriotic drama aired in TV going to teach us. Even in those sick dramas, its compromise, compromise and compromise. We also have lame patriotic songs. The lyrics are so well written that you will switch the TV channel to MTV. It does not bring even a bit of patriotism. With all the money spent on first class infrastructure, I’m pretty sure we can spend more for quality composers and directors in our soil. From what I can recall, Yasmin Ahmad was a fantastic director and scripter. It’s a pity she has left us. Rest in peace dear Yasmin. I’m sure there are others, but with the rate of corruption we are going through, the talented will never prevail.

Below is a piece of advice from me.

Dear Malaysian Citizens,
Let’s vote for a change. May 13, 1969 is not going to happen if you do. We are much better informed now compared to back then. You can spend so much time for entertainment, why can’t you spend a little time to register as a valid voter. And what are you going to lose, if it’s voting day, you get to take time off or even a holiday from your employers. Remember you get paid for this day. This, your employer have to give. It’s their duty to give you a day off and your responsibility to vote. If you are really terrified that things are going to go out of hand if you vote for a change come next GE, think of it this way. Minus the university/college students, almost all of us have got a job to do to put food on the table. Our employers will not pay us if we don’t go to work. It’s either you leave your job and let the people under your care suffer with no food and money by getting involved in petty rallies or take the day off given by your employers, vote for a change and get back to work the next day. Everything will be fine. If you don’t like the way things are being administered after the next GE, then vote for a change again the following GE.

I just love politics!

1 comment:

K said...

thanks, but was unable to view that site